Friday, 26 April 2013

Carried My Groceries Home


Hey everyone,

Today I carried my groceries home from the store. As I was walking along I saw people looking at me weighed down with bags in each hand. One guy who was with me in line loaded the same amount of groceries I had into his big fancy truck and drove past me. He gave me a weird look and left me in a cloud of dust.

It was a humbling experience. I was aware that I was the one person who walked while everyone else drove. I could feel their eyes on me as they passed by. I could hear their thoughts “Look at that guy, he’s so poor” and “look at that guy I am so much better because I can drive”.


Then I realized that I don’t actually know that anybody was thinking those thoughts at all; I don’t even know if anyone even noticed me beyond a peripheral glance! What I do know is that all those thoughts were reflections of what is inside me! I have been that arrogant young man with the big fancy truck who drove by and had those sneering thoughts when I saw people carrying their groceries home.

When I got home I put away my groceries and the discomfort in my hands and shoulders from carrying those bags for 15 minutes subsided. The sweat on my brow dried up. I felt energized and focused enough to write this blog post. Out of this experience I gained one very important thing:

Humility – Just a little bit more. I will no longer be that arrogant young man who sneers at people carrying their groceries.

Maybe, however, next time I will ride my bike! Red Deer does have those fancy new bike lanes all over the place. I will have to give them a try!

Cheers.

By the way; my Big Fancy Truck is FOR SALE. See my blog post about it by clicking here. It needs to go!



You can follow me on twitter @CityMotionRD