Friday, 30 August 2013

Caring Ripples Through Red Deer


Hey everyone,

Today on Facebook I saw this photo from the Red Deer Foodbank Fan Page

Lately, I have been thinking about the messages that I communicate into my environment and the messages that my environment communicates back to me.

That photo communicated to me that someone in Red Deer cares! There are so many inferences that can follow from that! I imagine someone who knows what it’s like having kids. I imagine someone who is compassionate about people less fortunate. I imagine someone who is selfless and generous who went out of their way make this much-needed donation. I imagine that my community is full of people like this and it inspires me to do the same!

That one person caused a ripple in the pond of our community! Even though I don’t know who they are they have changed me. The anonymous donation directly helped a few people and that picture sent a message of gratitude that will indirectly help many more! I choose to pass the message of gratitude on and keep the ripple going!

The consequences of my actions are impossible to guess. There are too many variables. But I know that everything I do influences others around me. This is why I don’t litter, I listen attentively listen to people in my presence; this is why I frame my thoughts positively and I always say thank you!

Of course this is part of the broken window theory and since I am running for city council this Oct 21. this ties into my views on community and government.

The best tool that the city has to lower crime, create a more suitable business environment, build community and improve quality of life is to design spaces that communicate positive messages to the people who live in them. I’ve outlined my thoughts on these ideas more specifically in my platform concepts SustainableGrowth and Economic Prosperity.

So that’s the role government should play in our community and in much the same way that’s the role I as an individual, should play in my community.

The other day I tweeted:

Goal setting on paper is a way I change my environment so that it communicates my goals back to me and keeps me visualizing them.

I also tweeted:
Setting out my workout clothes the night before is another way I change my environment. When I walk past them the next day my mind will be drawn back to the visualization of me working out and being healthy.

In those ways I can change my environment to communicate messages back to me and start to change myself. I can do the same thing for other people in some surprisingly simple ways.

Saying thank you is very powerful! I highly recommend you listen to Derek Halpurn's video blog about the power of saying thank you. Say thank you all day long! Say it to everyone including yourself!

Taking small steps towards a big goal is easier than taking a giant leap. For so long I have been trying to take giant leaps and I have always fallen short. But I keep getting back up and I keep trying again. I don’t know all the steps I must take but I know the direction I want to head in and I have faith that I can do it.

Cheers,




Please consider voting for me this Oct 21 for Red Deer City Council.
For more info on my campaign please see my website.
Follow my campaign on Facebook and on Twitter.

For more info on City Motion Fitness please see its website.
Follow City Motion on Facebook and Twitter.


Thank You!