Thursday, 6 March 2014

You Have Permission To Think Differently

"The world we have created is a product of our thinking; it cannot be changed without changing our thinking."
 - Albert Einstein 

Hey everyone,

When I sit back and observe the world I have a feeling that things are nearing a tipping point. The paradigms of the past are changing and will no longer serve our needs in the future.
We are nearing a shift that will be comparable to revolutions of the past except on a global scale. There are many variables from technology and the economy to the environment and culture and it seems like everything is in flux.

I was afraid; no, I was paranoid. I have heard about all the conflicts in the world as presented via mass media. I have witnessed poverty and economic disparity when I backpacked through South America. I have felt first hand societal ills right here in Red Deer; such as homophobia, racism, sexism and the like. I have been a materialistic, playboy, oil-patch guy with the big truck and the expensive lifestyle. I have thrown myself into jobs that didn't fulfill me so I could feed my family. I live the life of a busy parent and a business owner. But something is changing.

I decided to let go of anger and fear and start living for love, joy and happiness with a spirit of gratitude. It all started when I met a man who taught me about being grateful. This mentor; whom I shall elevate to legendary status because he is really an amalgamation of several men; is that which I want to become. He is mindful and patient. He is happy and healthy and everyone loves him. But what really sets him apart is that he thinks differently.

My experiences over the last year have brought me to a point where I must decide between remaining in anonymity or the opposite, infamy or renown; a risky prospect indeed. But I feel that to remain anonymous, would, at this point be perfidious. I have a greater responsibility. I have a greater purpose.

SHIFT - This isn't about ME!

So what are some practical steps you and I can take to make the proverbial "lemonade" out of our "life lemons"? Here a few that I am currently focusing on.

1) Be attached to the VISION, not the mechanism. Whatever you are doing figure out your "why" and don't be bothered by the "how". Always move towards your purpose and never give up.

2) Develop a legacy of service and of serving PEOPLE. I have found the most fulfilment and satisfaction by helping others and I believe this is key to my personal happiness.

3) Be grateful and pay it forward. When someone does something nice to you keep the ripple of gratitude moving. Be ready to extend a helping hand to someone in need. There is no such thing as a "self-made person" we all rely on a strong community for our personal success.

4) Think differently. Challenge your biases and be mindful of your prejudices. Be empathetic towards others and be cognizant of their plight. Also, don't just believe what you are told but be skeptical and be critical.

I want to connect with people and be part of the community. I want to be part of something bigger than myself. I want to meet you and learn what I can do for you!

I am curious. I am personal. I am BOLD!

Connect with me on Social Media (Twitter, G+, FB) or IRL (in real life).

Lets go for coffee!

Cheers,